Great websites with further information about feminism, film, women's film festivals and more.
Websites and blogs
- African Women in Cinema - The blog of the director of the Centre for the Study and Research of African Women in Cinema
- agnès films - Named in honour of French filmmaker Agnès Varda, the website aims to "foster a community of women filmmakers, scholars, instructors who teach film and filmmaking, and film lovers who support each other" and highlight women filmmakers through interviews, advice and news.
- Bitch Flicks - A website which reviews film and television from a feminist angle.
- F-Rated - a website championing 'the F-Rating', applied to films by cinemas and film festivals giving movie-goers an easily identifiable label so they can choose films that fairly represent women on screen and behind the camera.
- Her Film Project - A project aiming to support women filmmakers through creating a space for them to share their experiences.
- Shit People Say To Women Directors (and other Women In Film) - A blog which does what it says on the tin - capturing the experiences of women working in the industry.
- The F-Word - Feminist blog including reviews on cinema.
- Wellywood Woman - A blog on women and film, including useful links to other blogs, festivals and information about funding opportunities.
- Bechdel Test Fest - A year-long festival celebrating women's film, inspired by Alison Bechdel's 1985 comic strip.
- International Women's Film Festivals - British Council list of festivals with a focus on women's film.
- Sundance Women's Initiative - Sundance Institute, together with Women in Film Los Angeles and a community of allied organizations, works to foster gender equality in American cinema by supporting female filmmakers to develop their stories, find audiences for their work, and grow and sustain their careers.
- Underwire Festival - A UK film festival celebrating female talent.
- London Feminist Film Festival - An independent feminist film festival celebrating international women's film, past and present.
- Bird's Eye View - Having run an annual film festival 2002-2014, the organisation now runs regular training sessions and screenings.
- #SEEHERNOW - A coalition to support women filmmakers, aiming to highlight their work and to draw attention to the obstcles that they face in the industry.
- Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media - A research-based organisation aiming to address the need to dramatically improve, gender balance, reduce stereotyping and create diverse female characters in entertainment targeting children.
- Women's Film and Television History Network UK/Ireland - A goup of researchers, teachers, archivists, collections managers, students, professionals, and enthusiasts engaged in exploring the contributions women have made to the emergence and development of film and television.
- Women in Film and Television UK - A membership organisation for women working in creative media
- Women Make Movies - Established in 1972 to address the under representation and misrepresentation of women in the media industry, Women Make Movies is a multicultural, multiracial, non-profit media arts organization which facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of independent films and videotapes by and about women.
- Women's Voices Now - a US-based organisation that advocates gender equality in film. The organisation runs an annual online film festival with cash prizes, looking for films that engage audiences with women's stories and women's rights.
- Center for the Study of Women in Film & Television - US-based organisation researching the representation of women in the industry, including links to recent studies and statistics.
Further Resources and opportunities